Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Well Known Local Cyclist Doug Daniele in Fatal Crash

Daniele loved to use his I phone to take shots (2009)
Doug Daniele, 48.  November 3, 1962 to August 31, 2011
First Reported: August 31, 2011 (edited version, Sept. 3, 2011)

Local cyclist Doug Daniele was killed today while riding a motorcycle when a motorist made a sudden left turn in front of him, causing him to crash and flip over the car.   
Daniele, 48 was well known and beloved among many cyclists in the New Jersey region. He was traveling north on Route 17 in Suffern, NY on his 2011 Harley Davidson, when a 17-year-old female driver took a left turn from the far right lane, and Daniele traveled straight into her pathway.
The impact caused Daniele to flip over the top of the 2008 Honda Civic sometime between 2 and 2:30 pm near Sterling Mine Road in the Village of Sloatsburg, according to witnesses and police reports.

Another motorcyclist Paul Delmonico traveling with Daniele narrowly avoided the car, skidded to its right along the pavement, and suffered scrapes and other minor injuries.

Doug with his two sons and another friend riding a nice, long bike!
The motorist who is thought to have only had a learner's permit because of her age, had been attempting to complete a U-turn and misunderstood her mother's direction to "take a left now," instead of, "move into the left lane, then take a left," according to an eyewitness who saw the girl and her mother arguing after the crash. 

Daniele was taken to the Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern where he was declared dead on arrival.

An accident investigation squad was called to the scene and closed down the area for five hours, according to Officer Walker of the Ramapo Police Department.   No further details about Daniele's crash were available, said Walker, but an investigation of the causes of the crash is ongoing. The driver's name was not released because she is underage, said Ramapo police.

Word has traveled quickly up and down the stretches of Bergen County, New Jersey, and into Rockland County in New York State where Daniele used to ride his bicycle every Sunday and Wednesday, most often from his home in Paramus, NJ to Nyack, NY, a popular destination for cyclists.

Shock and disbelief followed by grief passed quickly from friend to friend.
Daniele in his backyard in 2009 modeling jerseys

A spontaneous gathering and outpouring of grief took place at Daniele's home this evening where his wife Carol Daniele, and two children Michael 13, and Joey, 10, spoke with friends. Jesse Obbsuth, Daniele's son from a previous marriage who is 30-years-old was also present at the Daniele home, as was Daniele's mother, other relatives and friends.

No one could believe that such a great man, as many of his friends referred to him today, could be gone. Daniele's reach extended not only among his numerous cycling buddies, but also among a large network of friends and acquaintances throughout Bergen County.

Daniele's Facebook page filled up quickly with notes of shock and sorrow from friends and acquaintances, childhood friends, cycling friends, motorcycling friends, and just people who loved to hang out with him.

BBB met Daniele for the first time some years ago. The first thing that anyone might tell you about the man was his eyes, which seemed to stare at you were of a bright golden green shade, and framed by abundant eyelashes.


Daniele also sported an impressive build, with massive shoulder muscles and a liberal sprinkling of tattoos. When he called, he often said,"So what's up?" in his characteristic gruff voice. If you ever felt unsafe on a bicycle because of aggressive drivers, you could ride with Daniele, and never have a worry because you knew he was fiercely protective of his friends.

But to Daniele, the bicycle was king. He told BBB that when he met his wife Carol the first thing he told her was, "I might as well tell you right up front, I ride my bicycle every weekend." But always the family man, Daniele was often seen pedaling with his whole clan up and down his street in Paramus, NJ.

Daniele was on his bicycle in the morning before he would later go out on his motorcycle with his new group of motorcycle pals: he bought his Harley five months ago, said Delmonico.  That afternoon he was to take the family to the skate park said his wife Carol.
Doug Daniele on 8/20/2011 with his new Harley

Many people knew Daniele from the Honda dealership in Tenafly, NJ where he had worked for many years and was a top salesman. "Buy your Honda from Doug," was a common refrain.

Daniele's other great passion after road biking was mountain biking, and any winter Sunday you could predict he was riding on one of the local mountains with his buddies.

One of Daniele's best friends since they grew up together in Fairview, NJ, Ted Demetrio, drove up from Philadelphia. "I guess I will be spending a lot of time in New Jersey over the next week or so," he said.

BBB will provide updates on the wake and funeral plans for Daniele, as well as more details on the incident.

Daniele was a great friend of BBB, and our hearts go out to his family. Words cannot convey how greatly he will be missed.






12 comments:

Jean O said...

This is such sad and devastating news. Doug was a great guy, great dad, and awesome friend. You are riding with God now buddy.

Evie Schubert said...

I will miss him.

Katie Lambden said...

I can't believe this news. Doug was a larger than life character...just bursting with energy and generosity. My heart goes out to Carole, Mikey, Joey, and the rest of his family. What a tragedy.

Anonymous said...

I was at the accident scene yesterday helping out. Thank you for blog about Mr Daniele. I am so sorry for your loss. I enjoy road biking also and was touched by your personal recollections of him. May God comfort his family at this time.

TeamWEsports said...

God! I'm so sad. But I can't believe how lucky I am to have hung out with him just hours before he died.
His last words to me when we parted ways were, "Great ass!" That's Doug! I will miss him so much.

Michael McTigue said...

Thank you, Jen for getting the word out. You have, as usual, managed to get to the facts while honoring the subject. Doug was what folks like to call a real man's man, but those who knew him were aware of a softer side, too. He was very good to me over the years. When I had to leave the cycling business he sensed how much that hurt and gave me room, support and kept in touch. I'll miss him greatly. My heart goes out to Carole and his sons. Please keep us all apprised of any memorial services or events planned.
Peace to all,
Michael

Leo Parascondola said...

The news of Doug's death comes as a genuine shock. My deepest and most heartfelt sympathies go out to his family. What a terrible loss for all who knew him!

Anonymous said...

I wasn't a cyclist but I was a friend.. No words will ever express the shock and sadness that I feel, along with my family, about this horrific loss. He was truly a great guy, funny, caring and adored his family.. I don't know if I will ever really believe that he is gone, but he will never be forgotten. It has been said if you hold a spot in your heart for someone you have lost they will be with you forever. Doug you will forever be in my heart. After being friends for over 10 yrs I will miss you always. God Bless you and your family.. Love ya Buddy !

Mesa Injury said...

Oh my! Such a very tragic accident. Doug was a good man. My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.

125cc Scooter said...

I don't know if I will ever really believe that he is gone, but he will never be forgotten.
________
Camp

Julio Costa said...

I have a great time in moab utah with doug and the north jersey mountain bike club ,we did evrything u can imagine,lot and lot a fun,the are in my memories for the rest of my life ,by doug ,will miss u forever

Andi said...

My condolences to Doug's family. I thought I'd also share www.deathletters.org to the grieving family as it might help to know there are other people who are going through the same painful ordeal.